Some numbers from our bike trip, in case your interested:
(updated October 3, 2014)
Kilometers cycled: 19,500
Number of days: 490
Days cycling: 285
Average KM/Day: 68
Blown tires: 2
Repairs and Maintenance:
• Changed complete drivetrain on both bikes (rings, chain, cassettes) in Germany after about 7,000 km, but both bikes already had about 5,000 km on them from cycling at home and previous trips.
• new brake pads (Koolstop Salmon) in Berlin. They are still on the bikes after 14,000 km but need to be changed now.
• 2 new rear tires (Schwalbe Mondial). Paul’s in Iceland after blowing the Marathon; Jan’s in southern Germany. Paul’s Mondial now has 19,000 km on it and still has lots of life and never had a puncture. The Schwalbe Marathons on the front have rolled more than 25,000 km and are still good to go.
• installed new bottom bracket on Jan’s bike in Barcelona.
• 1 new rear rim on Paul’s bike in Antofagasta, Chile.
• replaced both rear hubs in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Our Phil Wood hubs failed. Cause to be determined. They were completely refurbished by Phil Wood under warranty. Thank you!!
• replaced 3 shifter cables and 1 brake cable.